Lewis and Clark State Historic Site: Camp River Dubois
The Lewis and Clark site commemorates Camp Dubois, the 18031804 winter camp of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. It was at the camp on Wood River that members of the Corps of Discovery prepared their expedition to the Pacific Ocean. The site's main feature is an interpretive center that contains a large exhibition gallery, a theater, and a gift shop. The 14,000-square-foot exhibition area contains six galleries that outline the background and history of the Lewis and Clark expedition from its conception to its meaning for today's America. A reconstruction of the winter camp is located on the grounds near the visitor center. Its design reflects 1803 U.S. Army regulations for the construction of military posts. A nearby memorial structure overlooks the modern meeting point of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers.
The site offers exhibits, a short film, occasional living history events, and educational and recreational programs.