Fort Mifflin [PA]
In 1778, General George Washington ordered Fort Mifflin, built in 1777, to hold off the British Navy while the Continental Army traveled to its encampment site at Valley Forge. While the Continental soldiers were eventually forced to abandon the fort, Washington and his troops were able to reach their destination thanks to the soldiers' efforts. Since, the fort has served as a War of 1812 garrison, Civil War prison, and a munitions depot for both World Wars. Today, the fort contains 14 restored structures, the originals of which were built between 1778 and 1815.
The fort offers tours; weapons demonstrations; cannon firings; overnight Scout programs; and educational programs on the U.S. flag, the Revolutionary War, and the Civil War.