Point Lookout State Park [MD]
Point Lookout State Park is a peninsula, initially explored by John Smith in 1612. The site suffered British raids during both the Revolutionary War and War of 1812. The use of the word "lookout" in the park's name originates in the peninsula's use as a watch station for British naval activity within the Chesapeake Bay. Still later, the site was used to contain Confederate prisoners of war between 1863 and 1865. Several of the prison guards were African Americans, previously enslaved in the South. Today, features in the park include a U.S. Navy lighthouse; Civil War-era earthworks from Fort Lincoln; reconstructed barracks, officer's quarters, and the partial prison pen; and graves, now open, which originally held Confederate dead.
The park offers exhibits, a nature center, outdoor activities, and self-guided tours of Fort Lincoln.