Fort Pillow [TN]
The 1,642 acre Fort Pillow is rich in both historic and archaeological significance. In 1861, the Confederate Army built extensive fortifications here and named the site for General Gideon J. Pillow of Maury County. Because of its strategic location, the fort was taken by the Union Army who controlled it during most of the war. The remains of the earthworks are well-preserved.
The site offers a short film, exhibits, tours, educational programs, and recreational and educational events (including living history events).