Johnsonville State Historic Park [TN]
Johnsonville State Historic Park is named for Military Governor Andrew Johnson. This 600-acre park on the eastern side of Kentucky Lake overlooks the site of the Battle of Johnsonville. On November 4, 1864, at Johnsonville, Major General Nathan Bedford Forrest's cavalry took up artillery positions on the west bank of the Tennessee River. Calvary forces under Forrest sank four Federal gunboats downstream and destroyed a Union Army supply depot on the east bank at Johnsonville. Four of the original breastworks (rifle pits) are beautifully preserved. Two large forts in the park are open to visitors.
The park offers tours and educational programs.