Fort Gibson [OK]
Built in 1824, Fort Gibson served as a staging area for several military expeditions which explored the west and sought peace between the tribes of the region. It was occupied through most of the Indian Removal period then abandoned in 1857. The post was reactivated during the Civil War. The army stayed through the Reconstruction and Indian Wars periods, combating the problem of outlaws and squatters. In 1890, the army abandoned Fort Gibson for the last time. Visitors to the site can see a reconstruction of the early log fort as well as original buildings from the 1840s through 1870s. Exhibits detailing the history of the fort are located in the Commissary Visitors Center. The site also hosts a number of special living history events and programs throughout the year.
The fort offers exhibits, occasional living history events, and other recreational and educational programs.