Lake County Historical Society and Historic Sites [MN]
Organized in 1925, the mission of the Lake County Historical Society is to preserve the history of Lake County, MN, through the preservation, study and interpretation of artifacts, documents, photographs, and historic sites. The Society also maintains several historic sites. The Two Harbors Light Station constructed in 1892 is the oldest operating light station in Minnesota and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The lighthouse museum explores the development of Agate Bay. The 3M Museum includes the original office and headquarters of Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing (3M). It was here, in 1902, that five businessmen embarked on a mining venture which laid the foundation for a successful global corporation. Exhibits include Attorney John Dwan's recreated office; a history of the company including photos, artifacts, and documents; a "lab" area representing research and development, product diversification, and growth; and a "hands on" interactive program of technology applications. The Depot Museum is in the 1907 headquarters of the Duluth and Iron Range Railroad, and highlights the early pioneering history of Lake County. Exhibits range from McDougal archaeological dig artifacts and a Paleo-Indian display to the first shipment of iron ore from Minnesota.
The Two Harbors Light Station offers exhibits and tours; the 3M Museum offers exhibits; and the Depot Museum offers short films and exhibits.