- Esther Kim Lee, A History of Asian American Theatre (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2006).
- Library of Congress, American Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 (accessed October 28, 2009).
- "Luis Valdez," Gale Biography Resources Center (accessed October 29, 2009).
- New York Public Library, New York Public Library Digital Gallery (accessed October 29, 2009).
- "Race Records," Jazz: A Film by Ken Burns, PBS (accessed October 29, 2009).
Theatre of the People
Arriving in the U.S. by choice or against their will, minority groups sought ways to express their uniqueness and maintain a sense of community. How better to come together than as an audience—or as a group of performers? Answer the following questions on multicultural performing arts in the U.S.