Camp Corning State Historic Site [ND]
A granite marker commemorates the July 16-17 campsite of the 1863 Sibley expedition.
The site is open to the public.
Website does not specify any interpretive services available at the site.
A granite marker commemorates the July 16-17 campsite of the 1863 Sibley expedition.
The site is open to the public.
Website does not specify any interpretive services available at the site.
Inscription Rock, on the south shore of Kelleys Island, is marked with prehistoric Indian pictographs. The flat-topped limestone slab displays carvings of animals and human figures. Discovered partly buried in the shoreline in 1833, the 32-foot-by-21-foot rock is now entirely exposed. Much eroded by the elements, it is now protected by a roof and viewing platform. Archaeologists believe the inscriptions date from sometime between AD 1200 and 1600.
The site is open to the public.
Website does not specify any interpretive services available at the site.
Double Ditch Indian Village, overlooking the Missouri River, was a large earthlodge village inhabited by Mandan Indians between about 1500 and 1781. The remains of earthlodges, midden mounds (trash heaps), and fortification ditches are clearly visible today. Interpretive signs are posted throughout the site.
The site is open to the public.
Website does not specify any interpretive services available at the site, beyond signage.
This monument, located on a small island at the confluence of the Contoocook and Merrimack rivers, commemorates the courage of Hannah Duston, who was taken prisoner during a raid by Mohawk warriors in 1697.
Website does not specify any interpretive services available at the site.
A bronze marker identifies this site as the 1863 Sibley expedition's July 14—15 camp.
The site is open to the public.
Website does not specify any interpretive services available at the site.
This site marks the location of the field base of the 1863 Sibley expedition. The camp was used for more than a month and contains a military grave and a memorial marker.
The site is open to the public.
Website does not specify any interpretive services available at the site.
Leo Petroglyph is an outstanding example of prehistoric Indian inscriptions. On the edge of a ravine, the sandstone petroglyph contains 37 incised drawings of humans, animals, and human and animal footprints. It is now protected by a roof and viewing platform. The carvings, whose meaning is unknown, are attributed to Fort Ancient Indians who occupied this area between AD 1000 and 1650.
The site is open to the public.
Website does not specify any interpretive services available at the site.
Visitors to this site can imagine how the area might have looked when prehistoric people "called" bison to jump to their death below the cliffs. Interpretive displays help visitors understand the dramatic events that took place here for nearly 2,000 years.
The site is open to the public.
Website does not specify any interpretive services beyond signage available at the site.
A small granite marker identifies this site as the approximate location of the July 1314 campsite of the 1863 Sibley expedition.
The site is open to the public.
Website does not specify any interpretive services available at the site.
Huff Indian Village State Historic Site is a classic prehistoric Mandan settlement dating to about AD 1450, perhaps 200 years before Euroamerican influence reached the Missouri Valley area. The village is a very large, well-planned community where perhaps a thousand or more people once lived. Huff Village was probably occupied only for a short time (perhaps 20 years), as indicated by the clarity of the village plan and lack of evidence for rebuilding and trash accumulation. The site is in pristine condition, and the community layout is easily seen on the surface. Depressions marking the locations of more than 100 lodges are arranged roughly in rows, paralleling the river bank. The entire settlement is surrounded by a massive fortification system consisting of a ditch more than 2,000 feet long with 10 well-defined bastions. The village, including its fortifications, covers about 12acres.
The site is open to the public.
Website does not specify any interpretive services available at the site, beyond signage.