- David Wallace Adams and Victor Edmonds, "Making Your Move: The Educational Significance of the American Board Game, 1832 to 1904," History of Education Quarterly, 17:4 (1977): 359-383, http://www.jstor.org.mutex.gmu.edu/stable/367865 (accessed February 25, 2010).
- BoardgameGeek, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ (accessed February 22, 2010).
- Sarah Boxer, "CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK; Just Fun and Games? No! It's Greed and War, Too," New York Times, April 12, 2002, http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/12/arts/critic-s-notebook-just-fun-and-games-no-it-s-greed-and-war-too.html (accessed February 24, 2010).
- Doris Pronin Fromberg and Doris Bergen, ed., Play from Birth to Twelve and Beyond: Contexts, Perspectives, and Meanings (New York: Garland, 1998).
- Hasbro, "THE GAME OF LIFE CELEBRATES 50 YEARS" Hasbro Honors Board Game in 2010 with THE GAME OF LIFE: 50th Anniversary Edition," 2010, http://www.hasbro.com/corporate/media/press-releases/THE-GAME-OF-LIFE-CELEBRATES-50-YEARS.cfm (accessed February 26, 2010).
- ItsLassieTime, "Game of the District Messenger Boy game components," McLoughlin Brothers, 1886, Wikimedia Commons, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:District_Messenger_Boy_Components.jpg (accessed March 1, 2010).
- Daniel Kilbride, An American Aristocracy: Southern Planters in Antebellum Philadelphia (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina, 2006).
- Oregon Public Broadcasting, "Early Monopoly," History Detectives, http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/early-monopoly/ (accessed February 26, 2010).
- Elizabeth Magie Phillips, "Board game," U.S. Patent 1,509,312, filed April 28, 1923, and issued September 23, 1924, http://www.google.com/patents?vid=1509312 (accessed March 1, 2010).
Since the early 19th century, Americans have played games about American settings, governed by American rules. Space by space, children and adults have learned, consciously and unconsciously, about mathematics, economics, ethics, history, politics, and other subjects through these settings and their rules. Answer these questions about board games.