- Anne Cooper Funderburg, Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla: A History of American Ice Cream. Bowling Green, Ohio: Bowling Green University Press, 1996.
- Anne Cooper Funderburg, Sundae Best: A History of Soda Fountains. Bowling Green, Ohio: Bowling Green University Popular Press, 2002.
- Jeri Quinzio, Of Sugar and Snow: A History of Ice Cream Making. Berkeley, Cal.: University of California Press, 2009.
- Oscar E. Anderson, Refrigeration in America: A History of a New Technology and Its Impact. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1953.
- Gavin Weightman. The Frozen-Water Trade: A True Story. New York: Hyperion, 2003.
- Sara Rath. About Cows. Stillwater, Minn.: Voyageur Press, 2000.
The Ice Cream Wars
The history of ice cream seems like it should be easy enough to determine, but many of its landmarks are hidden in the fog of historical controversy. Here are milestones in the history of American ice cream. Which ones are highly contested and which are not? (Hint: there are five that are contested)