- Roy Adkins, Nelson's Trafalgar: The Battle that Changed the World (New York: Penguin Books, 2004).
- Owen Chase, Shipwreck of the Whaleship Essex (New York: Lyons Press, 1999).
- David Cordingly, Under the Black Flag: The Romance and Reality of Life Among the Pirates (New York: Random House, 1995).
- John Wesley Hanson, ed., New York's Excursion Boat Horror (No publisher listed, 1904).
- J.G. Lockhart, The Mary Celeste and Other Strange Tales of the Sea (London: Rupert Hart-Davis, 1952).
Turning Turtle: Shipwrecks and Disasters at Sea
When you think of life at sea, what comes to mind? Excitement? Danger? Shipwrecks and mysterious disappearances? Pirates? Johnny Depp? This quiz has a bit of all of the above, with the exception of Mr. Depp. Test your knowledge of renowned maritime disasters and confrontations.